Have you been on the lookout for the best Turning Red quotes that are bound to move you? Read ahead for my top picks that you’ll adore!
When it was first released in 2022, the Disney movie Turning Red caused quite a stir.
This is partly because it was released during the pandemic. However, it’s also because parents thought it dealt with quite mature themes!
I’ll say that discussing changing bodies and growing up is always an important thing to do (so kids don’t feel so lost!).
But not everyone agrees – so, it’s certainly an interesting movie!
As the movie was released on Disney+, it didn’t get the big screen debut it deserved and grossed just $20.1 million USD at the box office.
But with an impressive 95% Fresh rating on the review site Rotten Tomatoes, it’s totally worth a watch!
Without further ado, let’s dive in and uncover the best Turning Red quotes that you’ll LOVE.
Turning Red Summary
Turning Red is a Disney movie that’s set in Vancouver, Canada.
It follows the story of a 13-year-old girl called Meilin Lee, and she’s struggling with her duties of being the perfect daughter.
And trying to live her life as a typical young teen!
Throughout the movie, Mei discovers that her family has been cursed.
If you’re wondering how, the women in the family turn into giant red pandas when they’re upset and frustrated!
Although the original purpose of this curse was designed to protect the women, it’s become something of a burden over the years!
During the film, Mei deals with upsetting her parents, trying to live up to their expectations, and discovering who she is.
And honestly? It’s awesome to watch and will make you feel warm and fuzzy (just like those giant pandas!).
Meaningful Turning Red Quotes
1. “People have all kinds of sides to them, Mei, and some of them are messy.” – Jin
2. “I’m sorry I’m not perfect, sorry I’m not good enough, and sorry I’ll never be like you.” – Meilin Lee
3. “Me too. I see you Mei-Mei. You try to make everyone happy but are so hard on yourself. And if I taught you that…I’m sorry. So, don’t hold back. For anyone. The farther you go, the prouder I’ll be.” – Ming
4. “Red is a lucky color.” – Mr. Lee
5. “Why didn’t you warn me?” – Mei as a panda
6. “It’s her life. Now move” – Auntie
7. “Be careful. Honoring your parents sounds great, but if you take it too far, well, you might forget to honor yourself.” – Mei
8. “Sun Yee passed this gift to her daughters, for when they came of age. And they passed it to theirs. But over time, our family chose to come to a new world. And what was a blessing became an inconvenience.” – Ming
9. “I’m changing, Mom. I’m finally figuring out who I am. But I’m scared it will take me away from you.” – Mei
10. “My Panda. My Choice, Mom!” – Mei
11. “I know how hard it is to keep the beast in. It feels so good to let it out. So free.” – Grandmother
12. “I know what it looks like. I am my own person. But that doesn’t mean doing whatever I want. Like most adults, I have responsibilities.” – Mei
13. “The panda is a part of me, and you guys are too.” – Mei
14. “This is a critical time. Mei needs a strong hand more than ever. Don’t let her out of your sight.” -Mei’s Grandmother
15. “And yeah, sometimes I miss how things were, but nothing stays the same forever. We’ve all got an inner beast. We’ve all got a messy, loud, weird part of ourselves hidden away. And a lot of us never let it out. But I did. How about you?” – Mei
Powerful Quotes from Turning Red
16. “But maybe I like this new me.” – Mei
17. “Fight the power!” – Abby
18. “I thought I had more time! You’re just a child. I thought, if I watched you like a hawk, I’d see the signs, and be able to prepare. But it’s going to be fine. I overcame it, and you will too.” – Ming
19. “We’ve all got a messy, loud, weird part of ourselves hidden away. And a lot of us never let it out.” – Mei
20. “Do you know how dangerous this is?” – Ming
21. “Something about you guys like neutralizes the panda.” – Mei
22. “It’s easy. When I start to get emotional, all I do is imagine the people I love most in the whole world. Which is you guys.” – Mei
23. “You are a woman now. And your body is starting to change. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about.” – Ming
24. “I know. I’m sorry. I’ve been like obsessed with my mom’s approval my whole life. I couldn’t take losing it. But losing you guys feels even worse.” – Mei
25. “Your mother and I were close once, but the red panda took that away.” – Mei’s Grandmother
26. “Because it happened to me.” – Ming
The Best Turning Red Quotes
27. “I’m Meilin Lee. Ever since I turned 13, I wear what I want, say what I want. 24/7, 365.” – Mei
28. “I accept and embrace all labels.” – Mei
29. “What’s dangerous is an academic record with a lack of extracurriculars.” – Mei
30. “Besties assemble!” – Mei
31. “She is so brainwashed.” – Priya
32. “Buzz off jerkface – I’m busy!” – Mei
33. “Whoa! You’re you!” – Miriam
34. “This will be a piece of cake. And mostly painless.” – Mr. Gao
35. “This isn’t music. This is filth. And it’s not worth jeopardizing your life over.” – Ming
36. “It’s not all about me, you know? I do make my own moves, it’s just that some of my moves are also hers.” – Mei
37. “Words were exchanged. Slightly uncomfortable secrets were revealed. End of story…” – Mei
38. “He’s not that cute. Okay, his shoulder’s, like, kind of nice, I guess. His eyes are… fine.” – Mei
39. “You’re never not on my mind, oh my, oh my. I’m never not by your side, your side, your side.” – 4*Town
40. “And I will not hesitate to do a spontaneous cartwheel if I so feel moved.” – Mei
41. “Today a student tomorrow. UN Secretary General. The ancestors would be so proud.” – Ming
42. “But any strong emotion will release the Panda. And the more you release it, the more difficult the ritual will be.” – Ming
43. “I don’t trust glittery delinquents with their generations.” – Ming
44. “This little quirk runs in our family.” – Ming
45. “It’s a little hard to believe that Mei can control such a big beast. She’s just a child.” – Grandmother Lee
46. “This is grade eight. I don’t got time to mess around.” – Mei
47. “But, I like cleaning. Plus, I got this new feather duster and, oh my gosh, it picks up so much dirt.” – Mei
More of the Best Turning Red Quotes!
48. “The Red Panda has blessed our family with good fortune and prosperity.” – Ming
49. “As you know, our ancestor, Sun Yee, had a mystical connection with red pandas. In fact, she loved them so much that she asked the gods to turn her into one.” – Ming
50. “You are now a beautiful, strong flower who must protect her delicate petals and clean them regularly.” – Ming
51. “I told you she was big!” – Jin
52. “This isn’t just our first concert. This is our first step into womanhood.” – Mei
53. “We’re like a warm and fuzzy blanket.” – Priya
54. “What is it? It’s happened already?” – Jin
55. “It’s just some, you know, inconvenient genetic thingy I got from my mom. I mean, it’ll go away. Eventually. Maybe.” – Mei
56. “The least you can do in return is every single thing they ask.” – Mei
57. “Are you a triangle? ‘Cause you acute!” – Mei
58. “There is a darkness to the panda, Mei Mei.” – Ming
Funny Turning Red Quotes
59. “I should report you to the police. How old are you? Thirty?” – Ming
60. “They called me the ‘Uncommon Denominator.” – Ming
61. “Now, take a break and help me appreciate some boys.” – Miriam
62. “This sounds like a boy-girl party. Are we allowed to boy-girl parties?” – Priya
63. “All about that hustle, amirite?” – Mei
64. “MeiMei! Breakfast is ready. Hey- no sugar!” – Ming
65. “A very enterprising, mildly annoying young lady.” – Mr. Kieslowski
66. “May I remind you what real men look like?” – Mei
67. “Sick. I’ve always wanted a tail.” – Priya
68. “I’m calm – Zen”.
69. “A hot hobo!” – Abby
70. “Mine called it stripper music. What’s wrong with that?” – Abby
71. “I hate this! I’m slobby. I’m smelly. My mom won’t even look at me, and now 4-Town?” – Mei
72. “Shake your moneymaker!” – Miriam
73. “An overachieving dork-narc.” – Tyler
74. “Mei-Mei, I know this is upsetting, but we are going to get through this together. I have ibuprofen, Vitamin B, a hot water bottle, and pads. Regular, overnight, scented, unscented, thin, ultrathin, ultrathin with wings.” – Ming
75. “Who are these hip-hoppers? And why are they called ‘4-town?’ if there are five of them?” – Ming
76. “Mei, Mei is better than any of us at controlling the panda. She passed every trigger test. Even the kitten box.” – Ming
77. “I’ve never met nobody like you, had friends and I’ve had buddies, it’s true, but they don’t turn my tummy the way you do.” – 4*Town
78. “Why are you moving like that!?” – Ming
More Hilarious Turning Red Quotes
79. “The Daisy Mart has lost a loyal customer today!” – Ming
80. “Everyone go home! Where are your parents? And put some clothes on!” – Ming
81. “You sicko! What were you thinking? Why would you draw those things? Those horrible, awful, sexy things?” – Mei
82. “It is fine, you will move to another city, change your identity. Mummy, I’m so sorry.” – Mei
83. “Destroy her with your big butt!” – Abby
84. “It was my idea to hustle the panda! My idea to go to Tyler’s party! It was all me! I like boys! And I like loud music! I like gyrating! I’m 13, deal with it!” – Mei
85. “Yeah, this isn’t just our first concert. This is our first step into womanhood. And we have to do it together. I mean, girl I will say it’s a sleepover at my house. The perfect crime.” – Miriam
86. “See? See? This is what happens when you don’t wear sunblock and do drugs all day!” – Ming
87. “Blah! I’m a gross red monster!” – Mei as a panda
88. “I can’t ask my mom, I’m a furry ticking time bomb!” – Mei
89. “Did your red peony bloom?” – Ming
90. “You are so fluffy.” – Abby
91. “We’ve got your fluffy back.” – Miriam
92. “You’ll figure this out, Mei. Just be the calm, mature, adult you totally are. You got this.” – Mei
93. “I’m officially a grown-up, at least according to the Toronto Transit Commission.” –Mei
What is the message of Turning Red?
Although the story revolves around the physical act of turning into a red panda, the film also focuses on shame, frustration, and anger. There’s also a ton of commentary on teenage emotions and how girls deal with their changing bodies when puberty hits.
What are parents saying about Turning Red?
Turning Red was quite controversial when it was first released, and this is largely because some parents think the subject matter is too mature. I don’t personally agree as I think growing up and the changes that come with it should be discussed! But each to their own.
What is the panda a metaphor for in Turning Red?
The red panda is a metaphor for puberty, but it’s also representative of the characteristics and trauma we inherit from our parents.
Why was the mom’s panda so big in Turning Red?
Ming’s enormous panda is used to showcase her anxiety and the constant need to feel perfect. You might think Mei’s 8-foot panda is huge, but wait until you see her mom!
What is the ritual in Turning Red?
The Red Moon Ritual is designed to lock the spirit of the red panda away inside a talisman. This way, it won’t escape when the wearer is frustrated or angry!
There you have it: the ultimate list of Turning Red quotes that you’re bound to love!
What are your favorite Turning Red quotes? I can’t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Can’t get enough of Disney quotes? Check out these other wonderful sayings from Disney and Pixar characters!
- 58 Best Lady and the Tramp Quotes!
- 95 Best Jafar Quotes (+ FAQs Answered!)
- 35+ Iconic Cruella de Vil Quotes for Disney Fans
- 60+ Best Coco Movie Quotes
- 50+ Best Edna Mode Quotes That Are Completely Iconic
- 55 Best Pixar Luca Quotes to Inspire You (+ Fun Facts!)