If you’ve been on the hunt for Carl Fredricksen quotes that’ll make you laugh, cry, and travel, you’ve come to the right place. Join me as I run through the best sayings from Pixar’s favorite grump old man.
If you’re an Up newbie, the movie essentially follows the story of a man called Carl Fredricksen (and a few side characters!). He meets the adventurous and lovable Ellie and has an incredible life with her.
Although they run into an unfortunate infertility journey and she eventually passes away, there’s so much about this story to love.
As an avid Pixar fan, I’ll be the first to admit that I bawled my eyes out when I watched the first 4 minutes of Up.
Not only did it set up the story perfectly (that MUSIC!), but it shows you just why Carl Fredricksen is full of regret for not visiting Paradise Falls.
So, he picks up his savings, ties tons of helium balloons to his home and quite literally floats to Paradise Falls.
Along the way, he finds an enthusiastic boy called Russell hiding under his porch. Oh, and a dog called Doug who talks.
Now let’s get right into this list of iconic Carl Fredricksen quotes that’ll have you running to Disney+ for a rewatch.
Best Carl Fredricksen Quotes
1. “So long, boys! I’ll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls!”
2. Carl Fredricksen: I can’t tell where we are.
Russell: Oh, we’re in South America, all right. It was a cinch with my Wilderness Explorer GPS.
3. Russell: A wilderness explorer is a friend to all, be a plant or fish or tiny mole!
Carl Fredricksen: That doesn’t even rhyme!
Russell: Yeah, it does.
4. Russell: Hey look, buildings! That building’s so close, I can almost touch it!
Russell: [In Carl’s thought] Wow! This is great! You should try this, Mr. Fredricksen! Look, there’s a bus stop that could take me home two blocks away! Heyy, I can see your house from here!
Carl Fredricksen: [pulling on rope] Don’t jerk around so much, kid – [let’s go, shocked]
Russell: AHH! [fades away] Carl Fredricksen: [back in reality] Well, that’s not gonna work.
***RELATED: 33 Russell from Up Quotes to Make You Laugh Out Loud!***
5. Russell: “Paradise Falls, a land lost in time.” You’re going to South America, Mr. Fredricksen? [Carl grabs the picture from Russell]
Carl Fredricksen: Don’t touch that! You’ll soil it.
Russell: You know, most people take a plane, but you’re smart because you’ll have all your TV and clocks and stuff.
6. Carl Fredricksen: [after throwing both a ball and chocolate into the jungle to get rid of Dug and Kevin, Carl runs with his house for a considerable distance] There. We should’ve gone enough. We should be rid of them now. [looks to his left and sees Dug]
Dug: [with the ball in his mouth] Hi, Master.
7. “Russell, don’t touch that. It could be… radioactive or something.”
Funny Carl Fredricksen Quotes
8. “This is crazy. I finally meet my childhood hero and he’s trying to kill us. What a joke.”
9. “Yes, yes, take it! And on the way, learn how to bark like a real dog!”
10. “Hey, let’s play a game. It’s called “See Who Can Be Quiet the Longest”
11. “You got a ‘run away in terror’ badge?”
12. “You, in the suit… yes, you! Take a bath, hippie!”
13. Construction Foreman Tom: This is serious. He’s out to get your house!
Carl Fredricksen: Tell your boss he can *have* our house.
Construction Foreman Tom: Really?
Carl Fredricksen: When I’m dead! [goes inside and slams the front door]
Construction Foreman Tom: I’ll take that as a maybe!
14. Carl Fredricksen: You’d better get up, Russell. Or else, the tigers will come and eat you.
Russell: There are no Tigers in South America. Zoology.
15. Russell: Can we keep him, please?
Carl Fredricksen: No
Russell: But it’s a TALKING DOG!
16. “We have three days, at best, before the helium leaks out of those balloons. And if we’re not at the falls when that happens…”
Russell: [points to Kevin] I found the snipe!
Carl Fredricksen: [amused] Oh, did you now? [chuckles]
Russell: Are they tall?
Carl Fredricksen: Oh, yes. They’re very tall.
Russell: Do they have a lot of colors?
Carl Fredricksen: They do, indeed!
Russell: Do they like chocolate? Carl Fredricksen: Ye… chocolate? [he turns around and sees Kevin]
Carl Fredricksen: Gaah! What is that thing?
Emotional Carl Fredricksen Quotes
17. “I am not your master!”
18. “I’ll meet you at the van in just a minute. I, uh, wanna say one last goodbye to the old place.”
19. “Don’t you worry, Ellie. We’ll get our house over there.”
20. “True love is hard to find. When you find it, take good care of it while you still have time.”
21. [Carl, in his once-again airborne house, suddenly hears a knock at the front door] Carl Fredricksen: [Surprised] Russell? [opens the door to find Dug on his doorstep and is very happy]
22. Carl Fredricksen: [Smiles] Dug!
Dug: [Looking sad] I was hiding under your porch because I love you. Can I stay?
Carl Fredricksen: [Delightfully] Can you stay? Why, you’re my dog, aren’t you? And I’m your master!
Dug: [His sadness turns to happiness. As he happily wags his tail] You are my master? Oh, boy! Oh, boy! [lunges forward and covers Carl in slobbery kisses]
Carl Fredricksen: [laughing] Good boy, Dug. You’re a good boy.
23. Russell: But I want to help! Carl Fredricksen: I don’t want your help; I want you safe.
24. “There it is. Ellie, it’s so beautiful.”
25. “You will always be my greatest adventure.”
26. “Quite a sight, huh, Ellie?”
27. “We’re on our way, Ellie.”
28.“Russell, for assisting the elderly, and for performing above and beyond the call of duty, I would like to award you the highest honor I can bestow: The Ellie Badge.”
29. “Now, we’re gonna walk to the falls quickly and quietly with no rap music or flash dancing.”
Carl and Ellie Quotes
30. “Don’t you know this is an exclusive club? Only explorers get in here. Not just any kid off the street with a helmet and a pair of goggles. Do you think you got what it takes? Well, do you?” – Young Ellie
31. “Charles Muntz, explorer. When I get big, I’m going where he’s going [pulls away magazine to reveal a map of…] South America. It’s like America, but south.” – Young Ellie
32. “You and me, we are in a club now. I saw where your balloon went. Come on, let’s go get it.” – Ellie
33. “Imagine all the wonderful things that will never happen if you do not let them.” – Ellie
34. [to Young Carl] “You don’t talk much… I like you!” – Young Ellie
35. “Paradise Falls, a land lost in time. I ripped this right out of a library book. I’m gonna move my clubhouse there, and park it right next to the falls. Who knows what lives up there?” – Ellie
I hope that you enjoyed this list of Carl Fredricksen quotes! What’s your favorite saying from Up’s iconic old-timer? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
- 70+ Best Olaf Quotes That Feel Like a Warm Hug!
- 81 Jack Skellington Quotes to Honor the Pumpkin King!
- 85+ Inspiring Princess and the Frog Quotes You’ll Adore!
- 43 Flynn Rider Quotes That’ll Make You Chuckle!
- 60+ Best Tigger Quotes That’ll Have You Bouncing for Joy!