Are you on the hunt for the best Lightning McQueen quotes to make you say “Ka-chow”? If so, you’ll want to read ahead for my favorite sayings from this memorable character from the Cars franchise!
Cars is an extremely popular Pixar franchise that catapulted to success when the first movie was released back in 2006. Since then, two successful movies have been released that have secured their place in Pixar’s impressive history.
Although it’s not the most talked-about franchise in the Pixar world, the first movie alone grossed an amazing $426 million worldwide! And to make things even more impressive, it was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards!
How’s that for success?
If you’re a true-blue Cars fan then you’ll want to listen up, as I’ve compiled an incredible list of the best Lightning McQueen quotes that you’re going to love.
Covering all three Cars movies, these are the top Lightning McQueen sayings that’ll have you speeding along with your favorite superstar racecar.
Now let’s rev our engines and get moving!
Who Is Lightning McQueen?
Lightning McQueen is one of the main characters in Pixar’s Cars franchise.
He’s a famous race car who begins the movie as a slightly arrogant and overconfident car who believes he can win the coveted Piston Cup without any help.
We’re talking without a pit crew or coach that most cars would appreciate!
Because of his poor attitude and refusal to accept help throughout his life, he’s become lonely and doesn’t have any friends. In fact, he starts out as an egotistical rookie who’s got an undeniable need for speed.
His main sponsor is the company “Rust-eze” which sells a soothing ointment for ancient cars (which Lightning doesn’t dig).
By the end of the first movie, he turns into an understanding and kind character after an extended stay in Radiator Springs. And that’s because he’s actually a caring and relatively considerate car that aims to do the right thing.
He learns that life is more than just racing, realizing that making friends (and finding relationships!) is more important than trophies and fame. He still has his competitive and winning spirit, but he’s far more well-rounded as his character grows through the franchise.
What is Lightning McQueen’s Personality?
As I briefly mentioned, Lightning McQueen is uber brash and extremely confident when he first appears.
Oh, and he’s honestly quite obnoxious as he’s already fired 3 pit chiefs and constantly berates his pit crew.
He adores attention and the fame that comes with it. Plus, he’s desperate for a sponsorship deal with the popular brand Dinoco!
And that’s because he knows that this sponsorship would come with more popularity, more fame, and even notoriety.
Despite being a relatively successful race car with a major ego, he knows that something is missing in his life.
He tends to daydream and think of what he could have – instead of what’s right in front of him!
Does Lightning McQueen Have Any Nicknames?
Although he’s referred to as Lightning McQueen, he also has the following nicknames throughout the film.
Hang tight, as there’s a lot:
- Mr. McQueen
- Rook Kid
- Mr. I Can’t Turn On Dirt
- El McQueen
- Dragon McQueen
- Frightening McMean
- Lt. McQueen
- Lightning McQueen Hawk
- Mr. One-Man Show
- Champ Chester
- Muddy Britches
- The Fabulous Lightning McQueen
- Hot Rod
- Crazy Hot Rodder
Best Lightning McQueen Quotes
2. “I wanted to give the folks a little sizzle.”
3. “I create feelings in others that they themselves don’t understand.”
4. “And there’s the insult we were missing.”
5. “Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beemer.”
6. “I decide when I’m done.”
7. [to Minny and Van, who are leaving] “I’m telling you, you gotta help me! Don’t leave me here! I’m in hillbilly hell! My IQ’s dropping by the second! I’m becoming one of them!”
8. “Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed.”
9. “This one’s for you, Doc.”
10. “Yeah, your job’s pretty easy today. All you gotta do is stand there and let me look at ya. Let’s just cut to the chase. You, me, dinner. Ka-chow!”
11. “I’m coming for you, Storm.”
12. “One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me.”
13. “No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.”
14. Lightning McQueen: I’m a very famous race car!
Luigi: You are famous race car? A real race car?
Lightning McQueen: Yes, I’m a real race car, what do you think? Look at me.
Luigi: I have followed racing my entire life, my whole life!
Lightning McQueen: Then you know who I am. I am Lightning McQueen.
Luigi: Lightning McQueen!
Lightning McQueen: Yes! Yes!
Luigi: I must scream it to the world, my excitement from the top of someplace very high. Do you know many Ferraris?
Lightning McQueen: No, no, no, they race on the European circuit; I’m in the Piston cup.
[Luigi and Guido frown at McQueen] Lightning McQueen: What?
Luigi: Luigi follow only the Ferraris. [he and Guido drive away]
15. “Officer, talk to me, babe. How long is this gonna take? I gotta get to California, pronto.”
16. “Wuuuhuuu! Goodbye, Radiator Springs, and goodbye, Bessie! California, here I come! Yeah! Oh, fell that wind. Yes! No,no,no,no! Outta gas? How can I be outta gas?”
17. “Turn right to go left. Guess what. I tried it. You know what? This crazy thing happened… I went right!”
18. “No, Mater, I gotta finish this road, and I have to get out of here.”
19. “What do you think? Radiator Springs looks pretty good on me.”
20. “This is Lightning McQueen. I can handle anything.”
21. “Mater, look, things are different over here. Which means maybe you should, you know, act a little different too.”
22. “I’ll see you at the finish line, buddy.”
23. “I just figured, we never found out who the world’s fastest car is. Plus: no press, no trophy. Just racing – the way I like it.”
24. “The racing is the reward, not the stuff!”
25. “I’ve been pretty positive ever since I was a rookie.”
Funny Lightning McQueen Quotes
26. “What’s wrong with fenders? I thought you liked my fenders.”
27. “I brought my friend Mater along on the trip. And I told him he needed to act different, that we weren’t in Radiator Springs.”
28. “I can’t go out on the track and do the same old thing, it won’t work.”
29. “An imaginary girlfriend, flamethrowers. This is exactly why I don’t bring you along to these things.”
30. “Those are strong words from a car that is so fragile.”
31. Lightning McQueen: In your dreams, Thunder.
Chick Hicks: Yeah, right. Thunder? What’s he talkin’ about, Thunder?
Lightning McQueen: Well, you know, because Thunder always comes after… Lightning!
[reporters crowd around McQueen] Chick Hicks: [to his pit crew] Who here knew about the Thunder thing?
Lightning McQueen: I’m a precision instrument of speed and aerodynamics.
Mater: You hurt your what?
**for more Mater quotes, check out this post!**
Lightning McQueen: [Fillmore has introduced him to organic fuel] Wow, this organic fuel is great! Why haven’t I heard about it before?
Fillmore: It’s a conspiracy, man! The oil companies got a grip on the government. They’re feedin’ us a bunch of lies man!
32. “Ughh! I hate rusty cars. This is not good for my image.”
33. “Ahhh. This grumpy old racecar I know once told me somethin’. It’s just an empty cup.”
Emotional Lightning McQueen Quotes
34. “This is my last chance, Cruz. Last! If I lose, I never get to do this again.”
35. “How could a car like you quit at the top of your game?”
36. “I think The King should finish his last race.”
37. “Come on. I’m a racecar, you’re… a much older racecar, but under the hood, you and I are the same.”
38. “No, guys, I just really wish Mater were here.”
39. “I know I made you feel that way before, but none of that matters because we’re best friends!”
40. “Be yourself here. And if people aren’t taking you seriously, then they need to change. Not you.”
41. “How’d you like to come and see the world with me?”
42. Sally: Forty years ago, that interstate down there didn’t exist. Lightning McQueen: Really? Sally: Yeah. Back then, cars came across the country a whole different way. Lightning McQueen: How do you mean? Sally: Well, the road didn’t cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn’t drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time.
43. “I’m not a racing machine, I’m a race car.”
44. “You know, sometimes I even amaze myself.”
45. “It’s not just about winning, it’s about how you run the race.”
46. “It’s all about the tires.”
47. “This organic fuel is delicious!”
48. “Racing is the only time I feel alive.”
49. “The only thing faster than me is my tongue.”
50. “You really think you can beat me?”
Lightning McQueen’s Background + History
If you didn’t know, Lightning McQueen’s original name was going to be Montgomery McQueen.
This is revealed in the book Struck by Lightning where John Lasseter reveals that Lightning was meant to look like a Chevrolet Monte Carlo (hence the name Monty!).
When the design team mocked up the car, Lasseter decided that he was slightly too flat and dull. So, they decided that the name Lightning was a far more suitable choice!
Lightning McQueen’s Friendships and Relationships
Lightning McQueen has plenty of personality on his own.
But there are a few characters that really help to shape him along the way.
Although I adore Guido and Luigi from the movies, they’re not as important to changing Lightning as Sally, Mater, and Doc.
Sally Carrera is a gorgeous 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera and she’s the main attorney for Radiator Springs.
She used to live in California before she decided to take things down a notch by heading up Route 66.
Despite her appearance, she’s a leisurely car who’s witty and doesn’t let Lightning walk all over her.
This makes her a perfect foil for Lightning McQueen’s arrogance, and she ends up turning him into the best version of himself!
Mater has a lot of amazing quotes of his own as he’s just constantly coming out with witty one-liners.
**Related: The 30+ Best Tow Mater Quotes To Make You Chuckle**
He’s the first person that truly warms up to Lightning, and he’s a super easygoing and good-natured truck.
He believes that Lightning is more than just a race car and works with him to find the best in himself.
And who doesn’t love his buck-toothed grin?
One of the most important vehicles in the Cars franchise is Doc Hudson.
He’s a 1951 Hudson Hornet (hence the name!) and is a doctor and judge in Radiator Springs.
Although he’s quite a hard liner, he’s very well-respected in Radiator Springs and teaches Lightning that there’s more to life than winning.
As Doc was once a winning race car who had a serious crash, he knows exactly how Lightning feels.
But he also understands that racing isn’t everything.
Where Can You Meet Lightning McQueen at Disney?
If you’re heading to Disneyland Paris, you’ll find Lightning leading his very own Calvacade at Walt Disney Studios.
He’s also found in Cars ROAD Trip and Cars Quatre Roues Rallye!
If you’re visiting Walt Disney World, you’ll want to stop by Lightning McQueen’s racing academy where you’ll see him up-close. This attraction is air-conditioned (hooray!) and is tucked inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios by Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster.
Oh, and don’t forget the cars-specific décor at Art of Animation Resort in Disney World and Hotel Santa Fe in Paris!
If you’re visiting California, you need to head on Radiator Springs Racers. You’ll find Lightning tucked away near the Cozy Cone Motel.
Where Else Will You Find Lightning McQueen?
Not only is Lightning McQueen all over global merchandise, but you’ll find him appearing in lesser-known shows too!
You’ll spot him in Mater’s show Cars Toons: Mater’s Tell Tales¸ Miss Fritter’s Racing Skoool, and Cars on the Road.
Plus, Disney is planning to release a new show on their streaming service called Cars: The Series which will almost certainly feature Lightning.
Fun Facts About Lightning McQueen + FAQs
Who voices Lightning McQueen?
Lightning McQueen is voiced by popular actor Owen Wilson in all movies.
Is Lightning McQueen based on someone?
A lot of people think Lightning McQueen is based on the car-loving star of Bullitt, Steve McQueen.
But he’s actually a tribute to the Pixar animator Glenn McQueen who sadly passed away from cancer in 2002.
What caused Lightning McQueen to crash?
Lightning McQueen crashes after he’s taunted by Storm and realizes it’s not possible to catch up to him.
As a result, he experiences a major crash in Cars 3.
Is Lightning McQueen a villain?
He’s not a villain, but he starts the franchise as an unlikeable and arrogant racecar that needs to learn a lesson or two about friendship!
What was Lightning McQueen’s top speed?
Lightning McQueen’s top speed was 200 miles per hour.
He also packs an impressive 750-horsepower V-8!
Which car is Lightning McQueen in real life (seriously, what make and model is he?)
Lightning McQueen is based on the Chevrolet Corvette C6 (with lightning bolts and vivid red paint)!
His design is loosely inspired by NASCAR Gen 4 cars, but there are combined elements of the Corvette, the Dodge Viper, and the Porsche 911 worked into his exterior.
And that’s just in the first movie!
In Cars 2, he receives a bit of an upgrade to look more like a Dodge Viper GTS ATR.
Overall though, I’d say that Lightning McQueen isn’t strictly one car or another.
The Pixar design team worked hard to give him an instantly recognizable look that was utterly one-of-a-kind.
Oh, and did I mention that he even has air flaps on his roof that prevent him from slipping?
Hey, you’ve got to take your hats off to those animators, right?
Is a fourth Cars movie coming out?
There are currently no plans for a 4th Cars film, but there’s no ruling it out either!
What did Sally call Lightning McQueen?
Sally calls Lightning McQueen “Stickers” and that’s because of the fake headlights that he rocks up with when they first meet.
What is Lightning McQueen’s Biggest Fan’s Name?
You might have seen a meme floating around that showcases Lightning McQueen’s adorable biggest fan.
She’s called Maddy McGear and she cheers him on during his races (from behind the grills, of course!).
You’ll spot her near the end of Cars 3 just after Cruz Ramirez wins the Florida 500.
Another one of Lightning McQueen’s biggest fans is Albert Hinkey who’s otherwise known as the Buffet Master.
He’s always holding a selection of flags and is known for guzzling a lot of gas!
Does Lightning McQueen have a daughter?
Okay, so we can say that Lightning McQueen has a girlfriend in the form of Sally.
But he doesn’t (as far as I know!) have a daughter or son.
Never say never, as there has been speculation that Lightning McQueen’s biggest fan looks an awful lot like him.
But officially – he doesn’t have a child and is more focused on transforming the world one race at a time.
What is the significance of Number 95 for Lightning McQueen?
Lightning McQueen was originally a number 57 car (after John Lasseter’s birth year!). But it was changed to 95 to represent the release date of Pixar’s Toy Story in 1995!
I’ll always remember Toy Story as it was released in my birth year. But it was also Pixar’s first (and arguably most successful!) feature-length movie!
You might also see a little Easter Egg in Toy Story 3 where a car that looks a lot like Lightning can be seen at the Sunnyside Daycare Center.
What are Lightning McQueen’s biggest accomplishments?
Aside from helping Radiator Springs come back to life, he’s also a 7-time Piston Cup champion and the first rookie to win the Piston Cup.
But don’t forget that he actually gave up this cup to help The King finish his race instead.
And that’s because Doc Hudson showed him that there were more important things to think about than winning!
I hope that you enjoyed this ultimate list of Lightning McQueen quotes!
As you can see, this talented race car has plenty of memorable sayings that are worth taking note of!
If you loved these Lightning McQueen quotes, why not check out a few other Disney quotes to inspire you?
- 55 Best Pixar Luca Quotes to Inspire You (+ Fun Facts!)
- 65 Best Tinker Bell Quotes
- 60 Incredible Soul Movie Quotes to Make You Think
- 30 Best Jessie Toy Story Quotes to Make You Say “YEEHAW!”
- The Best Gaston Quotes from Beauty and the Beast
- 40 Best Minnie Mouse Quotes
Grace is the creator, editor, and sole writer for Pixie Dust and Passports – a blog that’s ALL about Disney! She’s made it her life’s mission to visit the Disney parks as much as possible and loves trying new snacks, grabbing the latest spirit jerseys, and rocking Loungefly bags. Oh, and she also holds a BA in History from UCL, which makes her a research and deep-dive enthusiast into all things Imagineering.